Asphalt Plant Laborer
CRH Americas Materials/Central Division
The Asphalt Plant Laborer is responsible for performing various duties on the construction and/or asphalt plant. The employee will be involved/responsible for the daily operations at the plant and maintenance of the plant. Scheduling all inbound materials and communicating with the Production Foreperson, Quality Control, and Plant Manager as required.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task.
- Follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment.
- Report any problems to the Foreperson, Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Follow direction of Foreperson as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project or jobsite.
- Perform minor servicing and maintenance of the plant; refer major problems to the supervisor.
- Perform daily pre-and-post inspections with appropriate documentation in compliance with company policies.
- Maintain cleanliness of yard and/or plant.
- Perform daily maintenance and greasing of the plant.
- Perform routine and daily housekeeping duties.
- Assist in training less-experienced employees on the proper operations, servicing, and repair of equipment to further their abilities.
- May be called upon to run small power tools such as jack hammer.
- Lifts, carries and holds material, tools and supplies.
- Perform general laboring duties when necessary.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
- 1-3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently under a variety of working conditions.
- Ability to perform strenuous work in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to read, write and do basic mathematical calculations in order to keep time and material records, and read blueprints or other project documents.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment requiring skill and the exercise of independent judgment.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Must have the ability to work without close supervision.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Knowledge in operating heavy equipment.
- Basic Knowledge of mechanics.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction and paving.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to heavy equipment operations and construction sites.
- Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to climb ladders and to work at heights.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to exert 10-20 lbs. constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.