The Rasmussen Group is a 106-year-old, diverse group of 12 construction-related companies, with operations that include: ready-mix concrete, bridge construction, asphalt paving, aggregate operations, heavy-haul operations, crane services, and dump truck operations.
Job Description & Basic Function:
The Chief Financial Officer is accountable for the administrative, financial, information technology, human resources and risk management operations of The Rasmussen Group, a 106-year old family business, to include the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve Company assets and report accurate financial results. Principal accountabilities are:
Strategy, Planning and Management:
- Act as Chief Financial Officer and strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team.
- Communicate, engage and interact with CEO, COO and Executive Leadership Team.
- Serve as a key member of executive leadership team. Participate in and support pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Engage CEO to develop short term and long-term plans, projections and budgets.
- Develop performance metrics that support the Company’s strategic initiatives.
- Oversee merger and acquisition due diligence and negotiate acquisitions and/or divestitures.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
- Oversee the development of annual financial objectives that align with Company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Oversee the capital expenditure process for all operations.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual Company operating budget.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization regarding long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Implement policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by senior leadership team.
- Select and engage consultants and auditors. Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors. Oversee all external audits.
- Remain current on audit best practices as well as state, federal and local laws regarding company operations.
- Represent company to banks, financial partners, public auditors and officials.
- Manage financial reporting, planning and analysis and ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for the Company. Report financial results to the CEO, COO and Executive Leadership Team.
- Review and analyze monthly and annual financial results and provide recommendations.
- Hire, develop and manage accounting managers and staff.
- Recruit, interview and hire finance accounting and payroll staff as needed.
- Supervise the accounting department to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases and financial software.
- Interact with and bring department into line with CEO’s plans, initiatives and recommendations.
- Oversee IT function. Identify, acquire and implement systems, processes, tools, control systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability. Invest funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, investments and asset management area.
- Arrange for debt and equity financing.
- Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks.
- Maintain outstanding relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets.
Human Resources, including Payroll and Employee Benefits:
- Oversee the Human Resources staff.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
- Oversee employee benefit plans and management incentive plans.
- Oversee on-staff tax manager.
- Develop financial and tax strategies.
- Overall management responsibility for tax function, including tax filing and planning for multiple entities and shareholders.
- Oversee the risk management program for the Company, including oversight of the risk management team.
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the Company’s risk profile.
- Monitor all open legal issues involving the Company.
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems.
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the Company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that recordkeeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies.
- Report risk issues to the CEO.
- Maintain relationship with insurance brokers and insurance companies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA Required.
- 10+ years of progressive responsible experience for a multi-state, diversified company. Construction materials, trucking and construction experience a plus. Preference will be given to candidate with both public accounting and private industry experience.
- Significant experience partnering with an executive team.
- Outstanding written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of GAAP, M&A, and tax reporting.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues
- Management oversight experience in Human Resources, Risk Management and IT.
- Health Insurance - Two Options with Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Group Life Insurance - Lincoln Financial Group
- 401(k) Retirement Plan - Wells Fargo Financial
- Additional voluntary products are available that include, but are not limited to Dental Insurance with Delta Dental and Vision Insurance with Vision Service Plan (VSP)