Abaci Consulting is positioning to become Central Iowa’s premier consulting firm in the field of land development. We will hire the best people and develop them to their maximum potential. Our personnel, service and presentation will arguably be the best of the best. We will become Central Iowa’s leading land development sector consulting firm by 2025.
Abaci Consulting is seeking a Civil Engineering Intern (EI) with an BSCE to work on land development projects under the direction of a Professional Engineer. Applicant must be highly motivated and able to develop and maintain valuable relationships with clients and associates. Competitive salary and compensation package including a full suite of benefits.
CIVIL ENGINEER INTERN
Prepares, reviews and approves estimates, designs, plans and specifications for civil site plans and land subdivisions; public infrastructure projects; responds to inquiries and complaints from clients and contractors; and performs related work as required. Functions under the supervision of a Professional Engineer – Project Manager but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reviews the designs, plans, and engineering reports for public infrastructure projects including street and utility improvements. Prepares the street paving, water mains, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, storm water detention, grading and erosion control measures against applicable engineering standards to obtain City/County approvals.
• Assists in the preparation of conceptual plans, including planning, coordinating with current and anticipated developments, developing improvement concepts, and generating conceptual cost estimates. Also monitors the construction improvements on specific projects during the construction season.
• Participates in the in-house engineering design and development of construction documents for site plan and land subdivision projects including plans, specifications, and bidding documents.
• Responds to inquiries and complaints from clients and contractors regarding project infrastructure and improvements; completes on-site investigations, and acts as the company representative.
• Advises the engineering technicians when they complete construction inspection and testing of construction materials..
• Assists with the completion of special projects, studies and engineering reports including storm water routing, sanitary sewer and water capacity analysis, and pavement determinations.
• Attends work related meetings as needed or as directed, and assists with staff presentations when required.
Entry Requirements and Skills:
• Works in office environment.
• Works in field or off-site locales during and possible after regular office hours.
• May be expected to participate in off-hour meetings.
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to communicate effectively;
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to produce clear and concise products with detailed accuracy and assure quality control of engineering designs and other work projects;
• Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate computerized equipment and surveying equipment;
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to visit projects and on-site construction zones including trenches and rough terrain.