Perform maintenance duties on all Burlington Trailways vehicles to ensure they are well maintained and safe to operate. Inspect, diagnose, adjust, repair, and/or overhaul buses and trucks. Maintain and repair any type of diesel engine.
- Test drive vehicles, and test components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges, and computerized diagnostic devices.
- Examine vehicles to determine extent of damage or malfunctions.
- Repair, reline, replace, and adjust brakes.
- Follow checklists to ensure all important parts are examined, including belts, hoses, steering systems, spark plugs, brake and fuel systems, injectors, wheel bearings, and other potentially troublesome areas.
- Confer with customers/employees to obtain descriptions of vehicle problems. Discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements. Review work orders and discuss work with supervisors.
- Perform routine and scheduled maintenance services such as oil changes, lubrications, tune-ups, and overhauls. Full inspection and repair of any unsafe or worn parts that would prevent the safe operation of the vehicle. Fuel and check fluid levels.
- Repair and service air conditioning, heating, engine cooling, and electrical systems.
- Test and adjust repaired systems to meet manufacturers’ performance specifications.
- Tear down, repair, and rebuild faulty assemblies such as power systems, steering systems, and linkages.
- Plan work procedures using charts, technical manuals, and experience.
- Disassemble units and inspect parts for wear using micrometers, calipers, and gauges.
- Repair and replace parts, such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, and bearings.
- Rewire ignition systems, lights, and instrument panels.
- Repair manual and automatic transmissions.
- Suspension work to include repair of replacement of air bags, shock absorbers, and radius rods.
- Overhaul and replace carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starters, and pumps.
- High School Diploma/GED Required, Associate’s Degree/Bachelor’s Degree in Diesel Technology preferred
- Valid CDL (Class B) or ability to obtain with training, clean driver’s license required
- Diesel Mechanic experience preferred
- Knowledge of and ability to use computers to diagnose vehicle faults and codes
- Mechanical aptitude and electrical knowledge required
- Demonstrates strong work ethic, honesty, integrity and self-motivation
- Able to prioritize and organize multiple tasks
- Effectively communicate with customers and employees
- This is a safety sensitive position; Candidates must be able to complete pre-employment and random drug testing.
Benefits include: Health, dental, vision, and life insurance, vacation, sick, and holiday pay, 401k and other discounts.