At The Samuels Group, we recognize our employees are our most valuable resource. We are builders of structures and builders of long-lasting relationships. Our accomplishments must always be measured by a strong team of employees, their safety, and an unrivaled level of client satisfaction. We encourage and foster a work environment that embraces communication, respect and recognition. Within this environment, The Samuels Group employees flourish, taking projects to the next level. In addition to offering a history of quality, The Samuels Group provides a passionate, energetic, and dynamic supportive culture where employees can continue to grow.
The Estimator position will estimate project costs for potential construction projects, in both the hard bid and negotiated delivery method. This individual will establish project budgets that accurately identify construction costs that can be utilized for both marketing and construction purposes.
This position would be based out of Des Moines, Iowa.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
- Participates in project interviews with the proposed project team, incorporating estimating principles.
- Understands and communicates the owner’s financial goals for the project.
- Understands all safe work practices performed in the field operations and costs associated with each procedure.
- Ensures job safety requirements and standards are included in all subcontractor proposals.
- While visiting project job sites, observe and report safety any hazards to the project Superintendent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Reviews plans and specifications for constructability and cost feasibility.
- Advertises and solicits subcontractors and vendors for hard bid, negotiated and conceptual estimates by preparing bid documents.
- Prepares and updates general project schedule to confirm overall duration of construction schedule.
- Prepares detailed estimates for self-performed work and prepares SD, DD, and CD estimates for negotiated and design/build work.
- Provides pricing and construction methods throughout project as required by the project management team.
- Reviews change orders with Project Manager to verify increased/decreased costs.
- Reviews quotes/proposals from subcontractors, maintaining master subcontractor list.
- Completes a detailed take off of quantities of detailed building components by divisions.
- Responsible for trade contract bidding process including preparation of bid packages, scope of work and list of contractors for bidding.
- Establishes project management cost codes for negotiated and hard bid estimates.
- Maintains database for bid invitations.
- Tracks cost history throughout project and analyzes cost history of completed projects for future use
- Initiates and directs a project hand-off meeting with project management team to ensure smooth transition from pre-construction to construction phase.
- Assists in training new hires in the department and reviews and approves the work of less experienced Estimators.
- Undergraduate degree or complete of a 2 year certificate program in construction related field
- At least 6 months of estimating experience and/or commercial construction field experience
- Ability to read and understand construction blueprints/documents/specifications.
- Able to comprehend and communicate safety standards.
- Ability to recognize and achieve high quality construction standards.
- Understanding of legally binding construction contracts.
- Proven ability to apply value engineering and life cycle costing.
- Working knowledge of project profit/cost processes.
- Capability to communicate in a professional, courteous, diplomatic manner with all levels of management, external clients and potential clients is critical.
- Must be able to ask questions, listen to, receive and give verbal and written instructions and directions in a professional manner.
- Results-driven achiever with ability to attain goals and complete tasks.
- Flexible team player who thrives in environments requiring ability to effectively prioritize and juggle multiple concurrent projects.
- Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions.
- Results oriented and proactive team player who excels at building trusting relationships with customers and colleagues.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and estimating software. Demonstrated experience with Timberline, MC2, isqft preferred.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Long Term Disability (company paid)
- Short Term Disability (full employee contribution)
- 401(K) Retirement Plan
- Tuition Assistance Available
- Company Cell Phone and Laptop Provided
- Company Vehicle
- Relocation Assistance Negotiable.