Lowboy Truck Driver
CRH Americas Materials/Central Division
The Lowboy Truck Driver is responsible for operating a truck & trailer for transportation of construction material and equipment. In this position, the Driver will load construction equipment (may include but are not limited to:front end loader, crusher equipment, fuel tanks, dozer, excavator, oversized loads) onto trailer and transport to various construction sites. Will also work in the yard area to stockpile and move materials as needed. This is a skilled position involving the safe and efficient operation of equipment/trucks. Work will be performed per the supervisor’s instruction, free from direct supervision except for more complicated jobs.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Operates truck in safe and professional manner on public highways, roads, in the yard area and at various job sites to deliver materials.
- Performs daily pre/post trip inspections with appropriate documentation in compliance with DOT guidelines.
- Checks fluid levels, tires, lights, and other controls for safe operation.
- Attaches and removes pup trailers, belly dump & side dump trailers, transfer trailers and tilt/transport trailers to truck as needed.
- Keeps accurate log of deliveries and completes required paperwork for billing.
- Load and unload equipment or materials.
- Monitor various gauges during operation of vehicle.
- Maintain daily vehicle mileage logs.
- Unrolls truck tarp to cover loads when required.
- Assure product quality to the best of the Driver’s ability.
- Perform minor servicing and maintenance of equipment; refer major problems to the supervisor.
- Properly follow all company policies and procedures for safe working procedures and environment. Report any problems to the Foreman, Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Obey applicable laws and follow dispatch instructions.
- Must keep vehicle in a clean and orderly condition.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- 3 – 5 years of related tractor/trailer driving experience required.
- Must maintain a CDL A license.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass DOT physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- MVR must meet company and DOT standards.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must maintain current driver’s license that meets state requirements, i.e., CDL, Class A Driver with possible hazmat and tanker endorsements.
- Willing to train employees who may not have driving experience must currently maintain a CDL A license.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Thorough operational knowledge and skills of trucks and related equipment to be operated.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently under a variety of working conditions.
- Ability to read, write and do basic mathematical calculations in order to keep time and material records, and read blueprints or other project documents.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as being able to work independently with attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment requiring skill and the exercise of independent judgment.
- Must be familiar with securing heavy equipment and other over dimensional loads.
- Ability to professionally interact with customers, collect payments and assist with issues that may arise.
- Ability to operate various types of heavy equipment that may include but not limited to Loader/Backhoe, Grader, Excavator, Crushing Equipment, Haul Truck and Asphalt Paving Equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Job requires climbing, stooping, bending, squatting, frequent lifting of extensions chutes, stretching, sitting/driving, shifting gears, and covering/uncovering load when applicable.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to focus.
- Able to climb in and out of truck 3-4 steps (elevated 4+ feet into cab). (Could be in and out of truck 20-30 times per day).
- Must be able to exert 10-20 lbs. constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.