Responsible for assembling, connecting, and constructing pipe systems for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Ensures ground is prepped and trenches dug out for pipes. Aligns pipes and seals joints together with cement or glue.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials
- Cut & bevel pipes to required lengths
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths by hand or using trenching tools
- Grade and level trench bases, using tamping machines and hand tools
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with supervisors
- Locate existing pipes needing repair or replacement
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices
Safely and comfortably work with and around heavy equipment
- Additional Duties as assigned
- High School diploma/GED preferred
- 1+ years’ construction industry experience preferred
- Must be 18 years in age or older
- Able to provide quality work and think logically
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines efficiently and cost effectively
- Keen attention to detail and a high level of initiative and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated strong decision making and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to regularly and reliably attend work, accord to the schedule established at Management discretion
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, stressful work environment with extreme weather fluctuations
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls
- Compliance with all OSHA and MSHA regulations
- Basic understanding of construction principles and procedures
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hand and arms above their shoulders.
- Must be able to exert up to 10-20 lbs. constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally.