Field Quality Control Technician
Quality Control Manager
Oldcastle Materials Group/Central Division
Provide inspection, testing services, and documentation for paving projects. Develop and maintain relationships with key customers, facility managers, DOT personnel, State, County, and Municipal personnel. The Field Quality Control Technician is responsible for compaction testing of asphalt mixtures and making any necessary adjustments to the compaction process to ensure compliance for all applications and projects.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Use accepted methods to inspect and test compaction of asphalt or other materials for the purpose of quality control.
- Test compaction of mixtures to stay in compliance with contract specifications and quality control tolerance.
- Monitor and test process functions and materials daily to ensure our products meet or exceed requirements of the appropriate agency or customer.
- Communicating test results with paving crew and project decision makers in a timely manner.
- Prepare and record accurate information; documentation of on site observations and test results.
- Obtain required certifications in a timely manner.
- Maintain all testing equipment, keeping track of all certification / calibration paperwork on testing equipment to ensure that these requirements are met.
- Follow quality control plans and guidelines as assigned.
- Follow directions of manager as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific duty.
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task. Report any potential safety issues.
- Follow all company policies and OSHA / MSHA regulations for safe working procedures.
- Perform general cleaning of work areas.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Minimum or high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Must obtain and maintain DOT certifications required to test asphalt as required by state regulations.
- Less than one year of experience in a related field is required.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Must have strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Must be willing to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must have valid driver’s license and meet the qualifications of the fleet safety program.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Safety Glasses, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Must know and understand all DOT regulations, such as sampling frequency, density specifications, quality requirements, etc.
- Proven ability to develop relationships and to work with teams as both a leader and a participant.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills; building rapport, listening, presenting, giving, and receiving feedback.
- Must be able to perform simple mathematic calculations.
- Must have or acquire basic computer skills and be able to work with e-mail and simple spreadsheets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Lift, carry and hold materials, tools and supplies.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to stand on hard surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Some lifting required to load and unload case with test equipment (approx. 55 lbs.) in and out of truck. A cart is available to move equipment (approx. 30 lbs.) on site.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Able to work extended hours if needed.
- Job hazards include exposure to dust, noise, fumes, and all weather conditions.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.