Job Type: Full-Time
Pay: Salary – Based on Experience
Elder Corporation is a family-owned business and values long-term customer and employee relationships. Our reputation is based on honesty, integrity and hard work. We maintain high quality standards and are looking for quality individuals to help us build the future in Iowa and beyond. We specialize in massive earthmoving and complex underground utility projects to heavy duty demolition work, and are trusted by thousands of Midwest customers to be their site development partner. We are requiring experienced applicants for this position as well as for applicants who are willing to be flexible and learn new skills. This position is open due to a retirement after 15 years with the company. To learn more about Elder Corporation, visit our website at .
All prospective candidates must pass a pre-employment physical, drug test, and background check.
Vice President of Grading is an experienced leader who has generated significant impact through the strategic and tactical direction of the grading and excavation operations of the organization. This position will direct and develop Field Superintendents and Field Foremen in the management of various projects, job sites and personnel. This position typically represents the contract with our customers so having a thorough understanding of what our entire company does at all levels is extremely important. This position will report directly to the COO and will serve as a member of the Senior Leadership team.
- Develop and direct the management of all Field Superintendents, Foreman and front line staff.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs, strategies, regulatory action and current and potential equipment.
- Participate in the development of the corporation's plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation.
- Strategic planning and execution to enhance profitability, productivity and efficiency throughout the company’s grading operations.
- Provide technical product and process advice and knowledge to others within the grading discipline.
- Coordinate activities with other departments to insure effective and efficient handoffs between departments.
- Consult and advise on safety issues for own department and other areas when called upon.
- Expert understanding of Iowa One Call process, scheduling, status and execution of locator training for all staff.
- Develop and maintain credibility and strong working relationships with all Elder personnel.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Identify key risks associated with each project and ensuring that steps are being taken and monitored to mitigate against those risks.
- Interact regularly with senior leadership team and individual department heads to ensure that company’s operational priorities are aligned with total company direction.
- Investigate and introduce process improvement measures and presents suggestions to COO for consideration that will generate higher productivity and revenues.
- Participate in vendor negotiations to ensure product relevance and cost-efficiency.
- Accurately read plans and specifications to perform and verify a quality work review.
- Knowledge of current equipment capabilities and the desire to learn about new equipment capabilities.
- Understand job constraints and budgets as projects are executed.
- Utilize technology resources as required to excel in position. These resources include Heavy Job, Microsoft Office, iPhone and other employer specific software.
- Strategic Thinking
- Business Acumen
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Decision Making
- Performance Management
- Results Driven
- Communication Proficiency
- Technical Capacity
- 15+ years of construction experience, including 5 years of supervisory experience
- Understanding of DOT rules and regulations
- OSHA 30 certified will be required (this can be completed within the first 3 months of hire)
- Experience and leadership in the use of GPS equipment
- Basic HeavyJob understanding